What You Need to Know About Energy Drinks and Their Effects on The Organism
A lot has been said about energy drinks and the risks that carry their consumption. For this reason, there have been some recommendations about them.
Energy drinks represent a danger for our health when they’re consumed along with alcohol because they rise arterial pressure up.
Besides, these drinks are artificial products with stimulant substances in their ingredients that bring an “energy boost” effect.
As most energy drinks don’t have as much caffeine as a regular coffee, they are deeply sugared, have a mass of additional ingredients, and are simple to drink, which appeals more to the younger population. Besides, their manufacturers say they raise stamina and “boost” functioning.
Consequently, we are seeing bigger events of those 18 and younger having risky side effects from taking too many energy drinks at once. In addition, we are seeing health consequences from consuming too many energy drinks on a daily basis over an extensive period of time.
Energy Drinks Components
To understand better energy drinks effects, here is a list of some components and their effects on the organism
- Ginseng: A root supposed by a few to have some medicinal benefits, counting decreasing stress and increasing energy levels.
- Taurine: Is an innate amino acid created by the body and helps control muscle contractions and heartbeat. However, there aren’t affirmations about its effects as an additive.
- Ephedrine: This is a usual ingredient in weight loss products. It’s a stimulant that functions on the central nervous system. However, experts have proven its negative effects on the heart.
- Ginkgo biloba: Improves memory.
- Inositol: Aids cells communication. This is an element of the vitamin B complex.
- Guaranee Seed: This is another stimulant.
- B-Vitamins: This is a group of vitamins that can transform sugars into energy and enhance muscle tone.
Even though the producers say that energy drinks can recover and improve your performance and endurance, various health professionals differ. This is because, any improvement you obtain from drinking them, they say, is only from the caffeine and sugar.
For instance, adenosine is a brain chemical related to sleep and caffeine, which is the main energy drinks component, works by blocking its effects. Consequently, when this happens, it sets neurons in the brain to let off. In addition, this hormone generates the heart beat quicker and the eyes enlarge. Besides, it causes the liver to free extra sugar into the bloodstream for energy. So, imagine what happens when it is blocked.
Moreover, caffeine affects dopamine levels, a substance in the brain’s pleasure center. So, these entire physical reactions make you feel you have extra energy.
Energy Drinks Effects
Some of the dangers of consuming energy drinks are:
Caffeine is a powerful stimulant to our organism. For this reason, those with heart conditions have to be careful when consuming caffeine, principally when it’s contained in energy drinks. Therefore, before taking any energy drink, be sure to know your heart’s condition.
Recent studies have shown that energy drinks can cause more vigorous heart contractions. As a result, someone with any heart condition can get damaged and an energy drink intake can be very dangerous.
Besides, it has been proven a link between energy drinks consumption and inner diameter arteries reduction.
According to a genetic condition of every individual, the effects of energy drinks could increase anxiety levels. Furthermore, larger doses of caffeine can even stimulate full-blown panic attacks.
Drinking too many energy drinks can guide to harsh headaches and migraines due to caffeine, as well.
If you drink energy drinks regularly, that can become addictive. As a result, you can be in a state of dysfunction when you are not capable to have the energy drink. Also, you can have economic stress from having to buy numerous energy drinks on a daily basis.
Different energy drinks can make you vomit. As a result, you’ll be dehydrated and feel weak.
High Blood Pressure
For individuals with normal blood pressure, energy drinks don’t affect that much. However, individuals with altered blood pressure, energy drinks intake can have serious consequences.
If you may have some blood pressure issues, when drinking energy drinks you can be at risk of a stroke or other health troubles associated with hypertension.
Researchers have demonstrated that these kinds of effects are linked to the ingredients combination of energy drinks. So, the combination of caffeine with many other stimulants will have a bigger risk of heart-related troubles than some plain drinks like tea or coffee.
Stress Hormone Release
Energy drinks consumption can lead to a norepinephrine level release, according to different studies. So, as you imagine, this is interlinked with the anxiety causes as well.
Some energy drinks can have diuretic effects. So, they make the kidneys to expulse additional fluids through the urine. Consequently, you get dehydrated. For this reason, drinking an energy drink while exercising isn’t a good idea, you’ll be losing too many fluids.
- All excesses are contradictory for our health, so you must be cautious with this.
- Remember caffeine is a stimulant, and consuming a lot of it can lead to heart palpitations, insomnia, and anxiety.
- Don’t mix it with alcohol. The combination of these two can dehydrate you, besides, this can make your body’s fluids to drop to very low dangerous levels.
- Several health professionals recommend kids and pregnant women not to take any of these drinks due to their components and their effects.
- Energy drinks, shots, and other energy products have a big sum of caffeine, and a variety of other components.
- Use of big quantity of caffeine may direct to severe cardiovascular actions, convulsion, and death.
- Intense use of energy drinks may outcome in extreme consumption of B vitamins, such as pyridine or niacin, and may cause nerve or liver injury.
- Adolescent use of caffeine has been related to poor sleep, addiction, and probable development of health troubles.
- Alcohol combined with caffeinated energy drinks puts adolescents and young adults at severe risk of self-damage and other injuries.
Find more tips to protect your health in our site